This timeline shows some of the school's most important milestones so far. Navigate through significant events using the timeline below.
Philip Reginald Egerton opened his new school in January 1860 with one pupil and an elderly housekeeper. Egerton doubled his numbers within a fortnight, and by the time of his retirement in 1886 he had 180 pupils and a magnificent set of buildings designed for him by one of the greatest Victorian architects, George Edmund Street. Here is the original building, now Wilson House.
The first Old Bloxhamist Dinner held at the Trocadero Restaurant in Piccadilly, London. By this time, alumni included Richard Read, the engineer of the Blackpool Tower and a number of artists including landscape painter George Elgood who numbered Queen Victoria among his patrons.
A school hospital opens to cater for the needs of a growing school. The hospital's plans were exhibited at the Royal Academy, designed by architect William Oswald Milne. This building is now Exham House (The Lower School).
Bloxham becomes a Woodard School.
Headmaster Roy Grier introduces a boarding house system, with three houses: Crake, Wilberforce, Headmaster's (which later became Wilson).
The Swimming Pool is opened as an outdoor, open-aired pool.
Memorial Arch built to remember the fallen of the First World War, unveiled by Lord Saye and Sele. The archway has the inscription 'The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in' and provides the school with a grand entrance at the front of the site.
The Great Hall opens. As well as providing a stage for school concerts and plays, the Great Hall block provided eight modern classrooms. The opening of the Great Hall was marked by celebrations including speeches, luncheon in the new hall and a rugby match against the Old Bloxhamists, won by the school 6-3.
Egerton House opens, named after the school's founder Phillip Reginald Egerton.
The School celebrates its centenary, which was marked by a visit from HRM Queen Mother. The helicopter came to land on the Main Field while pupils, teachers and villagers lined Brickle Lane to greet her.
Current Wilberforce House opens.
Raymond House opened with 60 boys on 29th October 1971. The Education Secretary, Margaret Thatcher, opened the building.
Seymour House opens. The Foundation Stone had previously been blessed by Bishop James Herbert (Bishop of Lewes) in the presence of the Chaplain Reverend Laurence Gunner.
The Dewey Sports Centre opened by The Princess Royal HRH Princess Anne.
Sam Kahn Music School opens in the old gymnasium building.
Lower School opens with ten boys, extending pupil roll to take in at age 11+.
Raymond Technology Centre (RTC) opened by Professor Heinz Wolff at Founderstide on 24th May.
Bloxham becomes fully co-educational and welcomes girls to the School at all ages. Girls had previously been only admitted to join Bloxham's Sixth Form, with the first girls joining in 1973.
Vallance Library opened by writer Colin Dexter at Founderstide, on 29th April.
School celebrates 150th anniversary.
Stonehill opens, admitting day students and eventually evolving into a third girls' boarding house in 2020.
Day House moves location to become Merton House, now found in the previous bursary building, across the road from the main school.Back to start