Menu

Studying Music and Music Technology at Bloxham School

Studying Music at Bloxham SchoolWith so much music going on at Bloxham School, from Chapel choir and orchestra, to jazz band and brass ensemble, and flute to Close Harmony Group, all tastes are catered for and welcomed.

Regular opportunities to perform lie at the heart of what we do, whether it be the bi-annual musical, london engagements, house music competition or weekly concerts. We strive for excellence in everything we do, inspired by numerous annual trips to the Royal College of Music and Classical Spectacular at the Royal Albert Hall – the music you know and love, accompanied by indoor fireworks and lasers! 

A team of sixteen dedicated music teachers deliver lessons on anything from jazz piano to recorder via orchestral percussion and guitar. Hour long lessons are available for those students who excel and subsidised lessons in trombone, bassoon and strings are offered so more students can join the fun.

Music in the Lower School

We believe creating musically literate students is essential and empower students to describe the music they love accurately. We have serious fun through performing and composing new works and celebrate success. Outside the classroom the Lower School Band welcomes students of all abilities and come together and perform their own choice of music. Each week the First and Second Form perform an anthem in the Lower School Chapel services and every term there is an Exham House music concert to celebrate the talent in the First and Second Forms.

Music in the Middle School

The work of First and Second Form is continued into the Third, where students decide if GCSE music is the right course for them. We follow the AQA GCSE, accessible for all passionate musicians with plenty of scope for studying music of all backgrounds and genres. 80% of the final grade is coursework made up of performance, composition and appraisal. The remaining 20% is in the form of a listening exam. The course is supported with regular performance opportunities and trips to see live music. 

Music in the Sixth Form

In order to cater for all musical tastes, we offer both music and music technology A Level.

Music

AQA A Level music builds upon the previous knowledge gained through the analysis of scores and set works (B at GCSE is desirable). These can be from musical theatre, pop music from the 1960s to present or Baroque choral music. Composition tasks develop the skills required to understand and compose harmonically and texturally interesting and creative works. Performance make up 40% of the final grade and a suggested standard of ABRSM Grade V is required. Trips to watch performances of set works as well as to the Royal College of Music inspire and makes music real and exciting.

The course best suits those wishing to go on to study music courses at Conservatoire, or University but also those who have a passion for music and a natural curiosity in how it works.

Music Technology

The Edexcel A Level in music technology is underpinned by three areas of study: the principles and practice of music technology; popular music style since 1910; and the development of technology-based music.

At A Level students produce an audio CD containing three coursework tasks; a sequenced realised performance; a multi-track; and a creative sequenced arrangement. They also present a logbook detailing the development of their coursework tasks. There is also an end of year listening and analysing examination, which assesses knowledge of Areas of Study 1 and 2.

Music Scholarships

Here at Bloxham, we are proud to offer music (at 11+, 13+ and 16+) and organ scholarships (at 16+). More information can be found on our scholarships webpage. For specific information regarding organ scholarships, please click here.

Who teaches music?

Head of Department: Alex Redpath

Other teaching staff: Mr James Ramm and Mr Jon Seagroatt, Head of Music Technology

To contact a member of our Music Department, please click here.