Overview & Aims
Future Focus is a two-day event aimed at helping to prepare Lower Sixth Form pupils for life beyond Bloxham School. Whether a pupil is keen to apply to university, to undertake a Further Education course or to secure a Higher Apprenticeship, we ensure that our pupils will be guided through this process. During the Future Focus event, the normal academic timetable is suspended and all Lower Sixth Formers are given the time to hear impartial advice from a wide range of experts, whilst also developing the practical tools that will enable them to make the next steps, whatever they may be. Starting after A Level trial exams, pupils will undertake a programme consisting of activities ranging from lectures, workshops, guided research opportunities and online registration for UCAS (including apprenticeships and overseas applications), practical Q&A sessions, plus advice on student finance and gap year travel safety.
The aim of Future Focus is to inspire and inform Bloxham School pupils about the full range of education, training, employment and volunteering opportunities available. Throughout the two-day event, pupils will:
- Gain further training on how to use ‘Unifrog’ online software to successfully search for university and apprenticeship courses.
- Receive practical help in completing UCAS applications (including online registration).
- Receive training in preparing an outstanding CV & covering letter.
- Learn about various interviewing techniques with tips on how to succeed.
- Be given tips and advice about email etiquette.
- Become more informed about gap year options in terms of working and studying abroad.
- Learn and appreciate the importance of personal safety whilst travelling abroad.
- Learn about the current labour market, its future changes and related employability skills.
- Hear advice from local employers about the recruitment process and tips for how to effectively manage personal identity online.
- Be shown how to utilise a wide range of resources to make well informed decisions.
- Hear from apprenticeship organisations and learn how to apply for an apprenticeship.
- Gain inspiration and advice from entrepreneurs in order to help understand and obtain the skills needed to succeed in selfemployment.
- Consider the importance of personal branding and online identity management.
- Learn about student finance, tuition fees, loans & grants.
Overall, the aim of Future Focus is to help Bloxham School pupils make well informed decisions about education, training and work options in order to help them realise their full potential.
Future Focus 2017 Presentations: